Last week I finished the prototypes for the REV 5 Pinheck Board and shipped them to Spooky Pinball. I built 5 boards for testing to make sure this is the final revision before starting the full on production run. These will be in the machines Spooky is taking to the Midwest Gaming Classic. I will also be there encase anyone has questions about the board set.
Second prototype board I finished.
Test jigs to make sure the boards are made correctly. I am working on a better test jig for the production run that will be fully automated to help speed up the testing process.
Boards ready to ship!
These are the first 5 test boards to make sure the changes from the REV4 board we done correctly. Since I am pretty sure this is the final revision I ordered the boards on FR4 170TG and ENIG finish. 170TG is higher temperature rated substrate which allows for lead free reflow without scotching the board. ENIG finish is a higher quality finish for the pads over HASL as it tends to be flatter and more consistent which is nicer on the pick and place machines.
Pinheck board on the pick and place. Currently the machine is only setup to place the passive parts which are the resistors, capacitors, and LEDs. This consists almost 90% of the board parts.
After the pick and place I manually placed the IC chips and placed it on the intake side of our reflow oven.
This is what the board looks like after coming out of the reflow. There are a couple bridges on the ICs so I will need to tweak my automatic paste dispenser settings.
Finished soldering the through hole parts. Wishing I had a selective soldering machine about now!
The Pinheck Pinball System is currently being tested in America’s Most Haunted. Once it gets a good bill of health we will move it to getting actual production boards made.
Just finished testing the REV 4 prototype. Flashed the Propeller and PIC32 successfully multiple times. Test software verifies that the hardware is working. I pushed the last fixes to GitHub that will make up the REV 5 board. Looking at selling the boards around the $400 mark fully assembled and ready to go with sample code.
Almost finished with the prototype. Just need to solder in some IC sockets when they come in and it will be done. Board only has one footprint fix but won’t prevent it from being tested.
This is the board I have been working on for Ben Heckendorn for his America’s Most Haunted pinball game. This is Revision 4. Will be finished soldering it tomorrow. Most of the passives are done as long with the ICs. Just the 0.1uF caps, mosfets, and connectors are left.
Just finished cleaning and soldering the first board for Tommy. I managed to get the connectors that did not fit on by sanding a bit of the plastic off. The footprints where off by 0.5mm.
The only thing I am waiting for now is my PC power supply (I knew I shouldn’t have tossed those when I moved…) to test the hardware. When that is done the board is heading over to one of my friends so he can program the ASM drivers that will run the system.
After that I will order Revision 1 which has currently all the corrections to the footprints and spacing issues. Once that version is verified I will release all the design docs to open source the project. I could do so now but I would hate if someone ordered the board and it didn’t work.
Been hard at work soldering up the first revision of the pcb. Found some spacing issues between connectors and parts but so far all the hardware works. The PC power supply port was mirrored….dunno how that happened but it works…just on the wrong side of the board.
The 74HC595s need to be soldered on and I am still waiting on the WS2803 chips for the lighting portion.
The parts for REV 0 of Tommy arrived from Mouser today. Just finished soldering the Propeller portion and it worked first try. I also updated the page for Tommy.
Tommy Pinball System Specifications
CPU: Parallax Propeller P8X32A-Q44 clocked at 96MHz.
I/O: 64 Optocoupled switch inputs.
32 Mosfets for solenoid control.
8 Servo Connectors.
72 8-bit PWM LEDs. Using WS2803 chips.
Up to 64 8-bit PWM RGB LEDs for General Illumination. Using WS2801 chips.
4 12-bit Analog to Digital Channels.
Standard LED DMD connector.
Power: Molex connector for PC PSU.
Separate connector for Solenoid and Servo Power.
Storage: Micro SD card slot.
2 Mbit of SPI SRAM.
1 Mbit of I2C EEPROM.
Additional: PCB Size is 7"x5" - 4 Layer
3 7-Segment numerical LED digits for debugging.
USB Serial built in.
Selectable voltage for LEDs and Servos.
All I/O data lines brought out for expandability.
Hardware watchdog that will disable solenoid power on event of CPU failure.
Pinout for Parallax Propeller
P00: SD Card DO
P01: SD Card SCLK
P02: SD Card DI
P03: SD Card CS
P04: 74HC595 Serial Data Out
P05: 74HC165 Serial Data In
P06: Shared Data CLK
P07: Shared Data LAT
P08: DMD Data 5
P09: DMD Data 4
P10: DMD Data 3
P11: DMD Data 2
P12: DMD Data 1
P13: DMD Data 0
P14: SRAM 0 CLK
P15: SRAM 1 CLK
P16: SRAM 0 SIO0
P17: SRAM 0 SIO1
P18: SRAM 0 SIO2
P19: SRAM 0 SIO3
P20: SRAM 1 SIO0
P21: SRAM 1 SIO1
P22: SRAM 1 SIO2
P23: SRAM 1 SIO3
P24: LED Serial Data Out
P25: LED Clock
P26: Audio Left Channel
P27: Audio Right Channel
P28: i2c SCL
P29: i2c SDA
GitHub Repository Link
Received the 10 boards from Seeed Studio. Checked to make sure there where no shorts on the power and ground planes and everything looks good. Next week I will start assembling the boards.