Part tray holding FCC connectors and PSOCs
I had a couple spare PSOCs to test the part tray with and train the pick and place. The PSOCs fit very well with little wiggle. Will be training the machine on the placement of the parts on Friday.
Here is a short little video of the pick and place positioning the FCC connectors onto the PCB panel. I am using double sided stick tape to replicate the holding force of solder paste. The pick and place is running at 10% speed to prevent the connector from sliding off the nozzle.
This is the screen printer we are currently using at MacroFab. It is an old semi-automatic printer but it works well for its age. It has a vacuum table to hold down the pcb and suck the screen to the pcb. Put some coated stainless blades on it for smooth paste squeegee action.
PIC-32 in TQ-100 package
The Pic-32 on the Pinheck Pinball System is a TQ-100 package which is .4mm pitch. We used a solder stencil and placed the part via the pick and place. Stencil was .1mm in thickness. Ran 25 boards and had no solder bridges.
At MacroFab, I have been working with a DP2006-2 Madell pick and place for the past 6 months doing low scale pcb manufacturing while we test our software on it. Some parts (like big MCUs and connectors) come on what is called a tray where the parts are laid out in a X-Y matrix. The pick and place machine knows the amount of parts and the offsets so it can pick up the parts in the tray.
Picture of a Part Tray
For one of the jobs we are doing I needed two trays, one for the PSOC4 and another for the FFC connector for the LCD. The DP2006-2 is pretty limited in pick and place area so I decided to make a part tray that would hold both parts. First I measured out the metal tray area on the DP2006-2 and looked at the datasheets of the parts for the physical dimensions. Then used SketchUp to draw out the tray. I gave each part .15mm clearance around the maximium size of the part. This takes care of any tolerance issues. If the tolerance is to big then the part can become crooked in the tray and the machine might have difficulties in picking up the part.
SketchUp model of the Part Tray
The Sketchup file can be downloaded here and the STL output for a 3D printer can be found here. I sent the files over to my friend Chris Kraft who printed the model with his MakerGear M2.
3D printed Part Tray with test squares
Chris sent me the model along with some test squares so I can test the ESD spray paint adherent to the PLA material the part tray was made out of. It adhered just fine to the bare PLA material so I went ahead and sprayed the part tray.
Part Tray in the DP2006-2
So far I have tested it with the FFC Connector and it has worked great! The PSOC4 fit but I have not trained the machine on it yet. I will post a picture when I load them into the machine.
Finished drawing the case last night for 3D printing. Used SketchUp to draw it as its free. Still searching for that perfect 3D modeling program. SketchUp is an ok piece of software. Compared to AutoDesk 123D V9 it lacks some features but the newer 123D Design (they changed the name slightly) its pretty lame.
X-RAY view for giggles.
I finished this project last year for San Mateo Maker Faire but never made a video….TILL NOW!
Been awhile since I last posted but I am pretty much moved into my new place in Houston and getting back to my personal projects.
Here is a status update for the NES Top Loader portable!
Assembling the front half of the case. Using size M2 sheet metal screws to attach the PCBs to the case. Holes are tapped with a 1.5mm drill bit before hand. For those that know the PSone screen accepts 7.4V then converts it down to 5V in some areas with a 7805 linear regulator. I removed the 7805s and attached my 5V switching power supply to the pads which dropped the power draw of the screen.
The back side houses much more parts. Batteries, switching powersupply, NES Top Loader PCB, speaker, amplifier, and volume control are all housed here. There is no hotglue in this portable. Everything is mechanically held in place. Some electrical tape is used to insulate parts but that is about it.
Do not have time to do a full write up right now but here are some juicy pictures.
I designed a 3D printed case for the Super Boost. It has two parts and is designed to hold two cylindrical 18650 lithium cells.
Files (AutoDesk 123D)
Super Boost Case Ver1.0
Super Boost Case Part_A Ver1.0
Super Boost Case Part_B Ver1.0
The case I designed and Chris printed showed up today. This is the prototype case. I had to make some slight tweaks to the design to get it ready for the final version.
You can download the files on the NES Toploader project page and check out the progress of the portable.